Complete Build Journal


Installing the Rear End (TROUBLE)

Today is the day that we are going to get that rear end mounted on the frame.  We may even be able to get the wheels on today.

Little A and I checked the torque on all of the bolts that haven't been done.  I went back and forth on that banana bracket quite a few times until all four bolts were torqued.  Little A was very helpful.

She made sure that the locktite and torque paint were applied to each bolt.  She even helped make the torque wrench click at 82 ft-lbs by standing on the wrench.


Now it is time to roll the rear end under the car.  I had the hardest time connecting the lower control arms to the frame (I had removed them from the frame earlier thinking that it may help having them start on the rear end).  I would jack up the rear to help with the install.  Finally, I was able to get a bolt through each lower control arm to hold in place.

But what I didn't know, is that the axle tube on the DS should be ABOVE the hard pan brace, not below.  I have this thing all jammed up trying to insall it.  I didn't realize my mistake until I was hooking up the PS shock and having problems.   I couldn't get the bolt to pass through the shock mount.  I decided to go back to the DS to see if I could get that side mounted.  The DS of the car is where it was hitting the frame.

That's when I knew I was wrong in my mounting location. I need to take it all down and try again.

But that's not for tonight.  I better do that when rested.

NOTE: JAN 13th: I was able to release the rear end from the frame.  I'll try to remount on the 14th.

Next: Breaking a Bolt on the Diff Cover

No comments:

Post a Comment